Registered Education Savings Plans (RESPs)
Education costs are increasing every year and this trend will continue. Many studies predict that the cost of a four year university undergraduate degree could be upwards of $100,000 in the very near future. Most post-grad programs already cost more than this amount. Today, the majority of employment requires some form of post-secondary education or specialized training.
Now the good news. The government wants to give you money to make it easier to help your children attain post-secondary educations without going into massive debt.
How do RESPs work?
- Canada Education Savings Grant: The government will give you $500 (or 20%) for every $2,500 you contribute per year per child. Contribute the max for 10 years and that means you get $5,000 free money plus the interest. Based on your net family income, you may be eligible for an additional 20% on the first $500 of annual RESP contributions.
- To save $2,500 per year, you need to budget just over $200 per month. Your Coach will help. Even if you don't hit the max number, the free money still adds up. The lifetime maximum you can receive is $7,200.
- Canada Learning Bond: You may be eligible for the Canada Learning Bond as well. This bond is for families who are eligible to receive the National Child Benefit. The maximum available amount for this bond is $2,000.
- Visit www.serviceCanada.ca and follow the links to raising a family for more details on all the available government grants.
- An RESP is tax-deferred, not tax-deductible. The beneficiary must be a Canadian resident.
- The maximum lifetime contribution per beneficiary is $50,000.
- Annual contribution deadline is December 31.
Smart Saver Contest
Start a pre-authorized contribution to a savings plan and be entered to win a year's worth of contributions! Automated plans are the smart way to save.
To be entered in the contest simply start an automatic savings program to a Libro registered saving account like a TFSA, RESP, or Mutual Fund and you're good to go. You will automatically be entered to win a grand prize of a years worth of contributions along with one of six secondary regional prizes! Contact a Libro Coach today to get started!
A Libro Coach is always available to share advice to build an effective registered education savings plan. We can help you choose the right investments. We will also make sure to review your plan with you on a regular basis to ensure it remains in line with your goals, time horizon and risk tolerance.Contact a Coach