What is it?
Victims receive a phone call claiming a debt is owed to the government and immediate payment is required via gift cards, wire transfer, e-transfer, Western Union Transfer or bitcoin deposit machine. Often a threat of arrest is made if payment is not complete.
- Receive a call from CRA.
- Caller is threatening if immediate action is not taken i.e. police action.
- Request to make payment via gift cards, wire, e-transfer, Western Union Transfer or bitcoin deposit machine.
- Told not to tell anyone why money is being sent.
How to Protect Yourself:
- Hang up immediately.
- Contact CRA using phone number available on website or in phone book if confirmation is needed that no funds are owed.
- If funds are provided, contact your Libro branch.
- Report to police and the Canadian Anti-Fraud Centre.