Libro Student Awards
Libro’s student award program supports youth who demonstrate outstanding commitment to their community while balancing academic success.
34 students will be selected for a $2,000 scholarship, for a total investment of $68,000. Winners will also receive a no fee Go Free chequing account and a financial coaching session to get set up for success.
Applications are now closed. Award recipients will be announced the second week of June.
To be eligible for the award the applicant must:
- Be seventeen (17) to twenty-five (25) years- of- age at the time of application.
- Have a current minimum academic average of a C+ (67%) or higher.
- Demonstrate commitment to their community through leadership and volunteer activities.
- Be enrolled full-time in a Canadian college, university, apprenticeship program, technical institute or private college for September 2023.
- Have a primary home address within southwestern Ontario (postal code begins with N) as defined by postal code (but may be enrolled in school away from their primary home address), or has a primary address outside of that area but is an Owner of Libro Credit Union at the time of completing the application.
- Complete the online application form
What to expect in the application form:
You will be asked to provide the following information:
- Current academic average
- Number of hours volunteered in your community during 2022
- List the organizations that you volunteered with in 2022 and describe your involvement with each one
- Describe how you demonstrate leadership qualities and contribute to your community while balancing academic success.
- You can choose between writing an essay (Maximum 3,500 characters) or creating a short video. If submitting a video:
- It should be maximum 2 minutes long
- Accepted file types are mp4 or mov
- Maximum file size is 300MB
- Videos recorded using a mobile phone are acceptable. Please use horizontal format.
- Additional tips: Place the phone on a stable platform or use a tripod for filming. Test the sound quality and be aware of ambient sound. Be yourself, ensure you are comfortable. You don’t need to be overly formal in your presentation.
- Winners are selected based upon Libro’s assessment of the best application amongst eligible applicants.
- This award program is open to both non Owners (within the Southwestern Ontario area- with a postal code beginning in ‘N’) and Owners of Libro Credit Union.
- Staff, Owner Representatives and Board of Directors members and immediate family members living in the same house are not eligible for a Libro Student Award.
- Past award recipients who have won awards from Libro Credit Union are not eligible to receive an award in 2023.
- Winners will be notified by phone no later than June 9th, 2023.
- Winners are announced publicly on Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, the Libro Credit Union branch network and libro.ca/studentawards. They may also be announced through press releases and other media outlets.